Wednesday 15 June 2016

Piano Cards

I was recently commissioned by a friend to make three black and white Piano/musical cards for my friend to give to her friend who is a piano teacher. I love an artistic challenge. She asked that I didn't put any title on the cards, which made it easy. 

I got some inspiration from Pinterest and created 3 different cards along the piano theme. 

Card 1 - was started with a strip of black cardstock 5.5 x 4.25 inches stuck on our 5 1/2" × 4 1/4" Colonial White Cards & Envelopes, Value Pack with Duck® Easy Stick™ Adhesive.

Next I got a strip of white cardstock about 1.5inches x 5.5 inches. I cut the white at 0.5 inches wide on the SureCut™ Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer. I don't cut things completely evenly so I had a small strip left over at the end but this was perfect because it allowed me to space apart the keys to show the black through them. I cut the black strip of paper about 1 inch wide x 3/8" inch wide.



To get the little music book shape. I used a scrap of 12" × 12" Colonial White Cardstock 
with the musical flower from the Hello Blooms stamp set (shown below) stamped with Black Memento™ Ink Pad. I rounded the top of the "book" so it looked more like a book and added a thin strip of Black Cardstock to finish it off. I stuck it onto the card along the middle and folded up the edges. 

I used Silver Shimmer Trim to complete the edge of the keyboard. 

Card 2 - The next card I made was a sit up card. I used the same measurements for the black and white keys. The base card was cut in Black Cardstock at 5x8 inches. Then I scored the card at 4 inches and 6 inches. I wanted it to fit into the bulk envelopes from the 5 1/2" × 4 1/4" White Cards & Envelopes, Value Pack.


I added an extra piece of Black Cardstock cardstock at 5x4 inches on the front of the folds (see below). I used the retired paper Yuletide Carol that has music on it to mat that in the same size. Then small 1.5x1 inch squares of it x 6 and used small bits of Black Cardstock that I matted the musical paper on. Both sides of the top strip and just the top side of the bottom bit (thats a confusing sentence!). I stuck it together with my Mini Stapler and Mini StaplesI used Gold Shimmer Trim to frame the keys and to make a "shelf". 

I used the Ivy Lane Assortment purple flower to make something to hold the fold card up and it adds a pretty floral element.  




Inside I added a strip of 12" × 12" White Daisy Cardstock for somewhere to write on. 


I folded the little musical book so it stuck out 3D. 

Card 3 - The last card I made was a Piano shape. I freehand cut the shape of the piano in 12" × 12" Black Cardstock scraps. The white and black keys were also the same sizes but I shortened the length of them by a quarter inch. To finish the card I added Gold Shimmer Trim and then the Gold Foil Tape along the top of the piano keys. I had thought I may cut off the white section at the top of the  5 1/2" × 4 1/4" White Cards & Envelopes, Value Pack card but I decided the inside of the card needed the extra space for writing (if I cut off the top section you would have less space to write). 



The below photo with all the cards in was taken where I made them at my regular crop day at Brown Park in Swan View (not the greatest lighting). If you'd like a day of scrapbooking/cardmaking or any kind of crafting, then please let me know and I can give you more info. The day includes morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, table goodies, door prizes, displays and sometimes workshop demonstrations & samples.  


No comments:

Post a Comment